/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Advice Needed – quit, time off, or stick with it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed – quit, time off, or stick with it?

Looking for some advice from others that may have experienced the same thing and what you did.

A bit of background;
    Up to June 28th my highest round for the year was 87; everything else was between 80-85. I felt I was just missing out on breaking 80 due to stray approaches shots so decided to take lessons.

The lessons improved ball contact (more solid striking and less toe shots) and scores stayed between 81-83, however I was still missing greens so took another lesson July 10th or 11th for ball position and address.

Since then my game has diminished all together and I am struggling to even keep a ball in play let alone hit something towards a target. My best round since the last lesson was an 85, other than that I have not been able to break 90 with my last 4 rounds being 95, 95, 93, 98.

As things got so bad I went for another lesson with a DIFFERENT teacher in August which has not helped out either things are just as bad as before if not worse.

To expand on how bad it is;

Yesterday was a fun-mini event at the course. We started on hole #5 by the time we hit #14 I was so nervous from the previous holes (6 OB’s with 4 lost balls to this point) I was shaking so bad I could not even swing a club. --- you read that correct I am literally shaking at address.

Needles to say I currently have zero confidence and I am completely embarrassed to be out on the golf course.

So my question is;

1. Give up for the rest of the season?
    2. Take some time off (days/weeks) ?
    3. Stick with it and get out and try to fix it?

I am open to #3 my only concern is with how frustrating the game is right now I do not even want to be on the golf course and feel it would affect the way I play. Eg. some of my solo 9 hole rounds I am just trying to make it to #6 because it goes back to the club house and I know I can walk off if things are bad.
    Last edited by chrish8; Aug 22, 2016, 09:29 AM.
    In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
    Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
    Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
    Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
    Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
    Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
    --------
    Home Course - Clublink

Re: Advice Needed – quit, time off, or stick with it?

That's pretty much me in a golf season if I played a lot. When it gets to that point, I take a time out for 2-3wks and I don't even hit the range during that time. Seems to work for me but might not work for others.

I've tried to ride it out in the past, hoping it would work itself out but it only caused me to get increasingly angrier (like wanting to toss clubs) at myself for hitting bad shots. Don't need that kind of stress...

Comment

IMO, at this point, playing is not helping. You need some range time to reinforce some fundamentals and maybe shed some bad habits.

Pick your favourite club and hit a bunch of balls with it until you can hit it consistently (not necessarily perfectly). Check your alignment before and after every practice shot. Try hitting some 3/4 shots that focus on accuracy rather than near-maximum distance. Get a feel for the things you're doing well and make a note of them so they can be applied to other clubs.

All this should rebuild your confidence, especially with regard to keeping the ball in play. You will never get your game back during a round if you're hitting balls off the property and/or into the weeds on a regular basis. Focus on accuracy at first, and then the distance will come later.

Comment

I've never taken a lesson but it sure sounds like in your case it has hampered your game.

Is it too late to erase the lessons from your head and just go back to what your comfortable with?

I would think that an instructor would leave me with too much to think about during my swing that I would forget how to actually hit the ball.

Comment

I'm right there with you on this.... My scores have been creeping up as well as my anger levels.

I took two weeks away... then reviewed my notes from prior lessons and just whack balls in my garage to get the feel I wanted with the swing. Outside I just practice with a sand wedge for fun. When I play right now I haven't been keeping score and just try and enjoy myself.

The scores have started to lower as well as my stress levels... I have Arizona in a month and don't want to be playing my worst after a pretty good season.
          Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
          Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
          Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
          Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail 25*
          Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
          Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
          Putter: SGC WB Northwood
          Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Sometimes you need to take a step or two backwards before a huge leap forward. I'd stick with the plan.

As others have said, hit the range and try to work some things out. Focus on the basics like posture, alignment and grip pressure. I always find that if I am in a funk, the grip pressure gets tighter and tighter which only serves to make things worse.
            10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
            16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
            20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
            4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
            Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
              Looking for some advice from others that may have experienced the same thing and what you did.
              Sell all your gear and buy new stuff. Kidding.

This is how I feel this morning after struggling mightily for 36 holes yesterday. I have been scoring well (similar to you) but not really striking it pure. After yesterday’s rounds I’m in a bummer mood right now. Range sessions have been fairly good but yesterday I lost that feeling on the way to the course (wtf).

If you had success with one instructor perhaps go back and tell him what you are experiencing. Even the best go off the rails for a period.

Usually just a minute adjustment will put you back on track. At least that is what I’m hoping. My buddy, who strikes the ball very well, has had issues with his 3w off the tee this year, and he used to be money with that club. I adjusted his ball position 2" and he started striping it again, and now is confident to use that club once again.

When I struggle I tend to start analyzing my swing during the round and that just makes things worse. At that point I’m controlling my swing instead of letting it just happen and now my focus is down there instead of out there.

Give it a bit of time so you start missing the game again. You’ve scored well before and will so again.

Comment

If you're like me, this usually means it is time to go back to simple.

When I get in a funk, it is usually because I suddenly am trying to do a bunch of things at the same time. Went into a slump about two weeks ago....part way through a round I just went back to simple and started hitting the ball great.

For me simple is just having a great arm swing and not thinking about what the body is doing.
                I like big putts and I cannot lie
                You other putters can't deny
                That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

I'd read golf is a game of confidence and really hone the short game for the next while.
                  WITB:
                  SIM
                  Stealth+
                  MMC 4-P
                  T4 52
                  T22 56
                  T22 60
                  Spider S

Comment

take some time off. The game of golf is in your head. You clearly have the talent to play decently, but sometimes we get in our own way.

I've struggled this year but at other times have played great. Getting off the tee has been a bit of challenge and I had some severe shoulder problems early in the year.

Last week I shot 82 and missed two 2.5 foot putts, one for a bird (would have 3rd of the round) and one for a par on 18. I thought I played ok that day, nothing special but managed to get it around and almost break 80 (I am a 13 cap)

Two rounds before that I was ready to walk off the course after 9. The round prior to this one I was 84 and showing some good signs. It's purely a confidence thing as you mention and clearing your head with some time off can do wonders.

Another thing to do is to just go out and not keep score - that can put a lot of pressure on you mentally.
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Chris.....

Just a game and you've made great strides the last 2 years. Heck you were a C flighter (though still killed it off the tee) when we first played.

I am in the mid-80's almost every time too. Saturday I was at Brampton and after the first hole debacle was cruising along. Yep the yips and a few 3-putts, but okay for the most part until a blow-up on 10 along with loose shots 12 and 13.

The point is don't put pressure on yourself and enjoy the good shots and holes. Bad one's will happen.

Comment

Never quit. Remember we are amateurs and its a very deceptive sport.
                        You really can not expect much more as long as you are doing your best.

Comment

Wow, I thought this was the season I would finally break 80 again....

...shot a few scores in the low 80's (and even an 80)...but that was back in June!

...Penalties have killed my game, and now I'm struggling to break 100

...but I won't give up, because it's all I really want to do on a nice day

Damn You Golf!
                          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Stick with it. We all go through periods of poor play as well seemingly good play but can't get a break or a bounce resulting in a high score. Then inexplicably we break out of it and life is good. Enjoy the fact that you can play.

Comment

Just go out and play a solo round with nobody watching.
                              Your thinking too much
                              Hit multiple balls and relax
                              Brampton

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X